Car accidents are a very common sight. On our daily commute we see the aftermath of car accidents that have taken place on a regular basis. According to the North Carolina Department of Transportation 226,552 crashes occurred in 2014 and 71,029 of those crashes involved injuries.
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a number of things you need to do.
Here are steps you can take to following your accident to protect yourself or to seek the necessary recovery:
- Stop and Call the Police – Following the accident stop your vehicle and remain at the scene. Ensure that it is safe to exit your vehicle before doing so. If it is safe to exit your vehicle take note of your exact location and then contact 911. Report any injuries that may have occurred to 911 when you call.
- Remain as Calm as Possible and Limit Conversation – Being in an accident is nerve wracking and often when people are nervous they talk. Try to remain calm and limit conversation with the other driver, it is very important not to admit fault to the other party. Once police arrive at the scene tell them as much about what happened as you can remember.
- Document Damage – While at the scene, take photos of all vehicles and damage involved. Also take pictures of any skid marks, traffic signals, stops signs or other important items that may affect your recovery.
- File a Claim – Report the accident to your insurance company as soon as possible following the accident. If you hire a lawyer following the accident, your lawyer can report the claim on your behalf and share any necessary information for them to investigate the claim.
- Hire a Lawyer – If you are involved in a car accident that is not your fault and are injured, you should contact a lawyer as soon as possible. At Miller Law Group we will assist you in filing your claim; maximizing your recovery and directing you as to what steps need to be taken next. Contact us for your free consultation today!