After you’ve been hurt in a car accident, an insurance adjuster for the other driver is likely to ask for your medical records.

The trick is that the adjuster will ask you to sign an “open-ended” authorization, allowing them to get your entire medical history from your birth to the present time. Needless to say, they don’t need that.

Even in a complicated case, it’s unusual for a court to require you to turn over more than 10 years’ worth of prior medical records.

If you have a small case and just a couple of ER or doctor’s visits, the adjuster doesn’t need more than those few records, and possibly records for a year or two before. They are entitled to see if you had pre-existing health problems that might cause the complaints you have from the wreck. They are NOT entitled to know everything about you.

You can avoid this problem by getting your records yourself, or by signing an authorization and writing in the dates for when records can be obtained. If an adjuster says you can’t make those changes, they’re lying.

If you’ve been hurt by someone else’s negligence, contact the award-winning personal injury attorneys at the Miller Law Group.  We’ll only take your case if we think we can help you, and we only get paid if we get you a recovery.  Contact us by clicking here, or call us at 919-348-4361 today for a free consultation.


Car Wreck Insurance Claim Information 

Getting a Rental Car After a Wreck

Statutes of Limitations Information