If you’ve been hurt in a car accident, one way the insurance company tries to wear you down is through your property damage claim. They may offer you a rental vehicle quickly.  That’s fine, but they aren’t doing it out of the goodness of their heart. You’re entitled to a type of damage called “loss of use” while your car’s out of commission. Insurance companies get you a rental vehicle because of preferred rates with rental companies.

They may suggest using one of their “Preferred Repair Facilities”, claiming it will offer you quicker service (sometimes what they call “drive-in” service)and faster turn-around on repairs.  They may even imply their facilities are better-qualified to fix your vehicle than others are. You are NOT required to use their shop, however. Under the North Carolina Administrative Code, you can pick your own repair shop, and if you do use their shop, you can still get your own independent repair appraisal (see 11 NCAC 04.0417) to make sure they’re doing all that needs to be done.

You shouldn’t sign any release for property damage before consulting an attorney, and before confirming the vehicle is operating correctly.  You should drive a few days to learn if all the repairs were made correctly.  At the Miller Law Group, combined experience of over 50 years of handling car wreck claims has taught us that typically, it’s best for you to handle your property damage, and let us handle your personal injury claim.  However, we’ll give you the information you need to protect your claim for damage to your vehicle. Contact us through our website today, or call 919-348-4361. The consultation is free, and you don’t owe us anything unless we take the case and get you a recovery.

Rental Vehicles Following a Car Wreck

Statutes of Limitations

More Information on Personal Injury Claims from Car Accidents