Often times I am asked about how to get an abusive spouse out of the home.  If you are a victim of domestic violence and your abuser refuses to leave, you can file to get a Domestic Violence Protective Order (DVPO) to remove the abuser from the home.  This applies to any abuser, including a spouse.  Read our blog post dedicated to DVPO’s here.

Another option for removing your spouse from the home is a divorce from bed and board. For more information about divorce from bed and board, click here.  The downside to getting a divorce from bed and board is that it can take a long time and you have to pay a filing fee for your case of $150.00.  For many spouses this is not an option due to the abuse occurring in the home.

As an alternative, if you are a victim of domestic violence, which includes physical abuse, emotional abuse and the threat of violence, and you need to get your spouse out of the home immediately a DVPO may be the best option for you.  For more information on DVPOs and the process for getting a protective order click here!  It is also important to note that an additional benefit of a DVPO is that there are no filing fees and it is a civil, not a criminal, order.

The DVPO may order the abuser to do one or more of the following:

  1. Leave the marital home immediately;
  2. Stay away from you, including at your home, work, or anywhere you may be present;
  3. Refrain from contacting you;
  4. Allow you to remove your belongings from the home (while escorted by a police officer);
  5. Give you temporary possession of a shared vehicle;
  6. If there were children involved, the order may even grant you temporary custody of them;
  7. Give you possession of pet(s).

If you have suffered from domestic violence and want to see what your options are regarding a protective order, contact our Family Law attorney.