When you’re hurt at work, your injuries should be covered by workers’ compensation. Imagine getting hurt at work, tripping and hitting your head, slipping, falling or hurting yourself in another way. You expect to be taken care of for that injury, because you were doing your job when it happened. Sometimes that isn’t the case, depending on who you are and what your job is. What kinds of injuries are typically covered, though, if you’re not sure if you’ll be covered?

To start with, any work-related injury is normally covered if you’re a normal employee. That means any kind of injury you suffer while doing something for your employer or in the course of employment can be compensated for. For instance, if you slip and fall when you’re mopping the floors, hit your head on machinery or get caught between items in a store room, you should be covered by workers’ compensation.

If your injury takes place while you’re on a lunch break, it may still be covered by workers’ compensation. If it takes place at work on your employer’s grounds or in the employee cafeteria, then it’s likely you’ll still be covered for the injuries you’ve suffered.

Only employees are covered by workers’ compensation, so if you’re a freelancer or third party, you may not be covered by an employer’s workers’ compensation insurance. Some kinds of workers may not be covered by workers’ compensation if they’re domestic workers, work seasonally, are agricultural workers or are undocumented workers.

Our website has more information on workers’ compensation, so you can file a claim, even when your case is complicated.