Family court orders can cover a variety of issues including visitation, child support, custody, alimony, and even restraining orders.  Violating a court order can result in a finding of contempt of court.  If a party violates a court order, the other party can file to hold that person in contempt.

There are two types of contempt: civil and criminal.  Criminal contempt is used to punish someone for violating a court order or being disrespectful towards the court.  The purpose of civil contempt is to make someone follow a court order.  Put simply, criminal contempt punishes action that already occurred and civil contempt enforces the current order to be followed.

A party may motion for an order to show cause, which is a demand to appear in court and prove why you should not be held in contempt of court.  If this motion is made, the court will review the motion and decide whether to issue an order to show cause.

Click here to read about civil contempt.

Click here to read about criminal contempt.

Following a court order is important to avoid being punished by the court.  Continuously being found in contempt may be a basis to change a custodial order or result in dire consequences.  Due to the significant consequences you may face, it is important to contact an experienced attorney for help! If you have received notice of a contempt motion or believe you need to file a motion for contempt, call our office to set up a consultation!