If you’ve been hurt by a negligent school bus driver, you may be surprised to know that your claim will typically be against the state of North Carolina, and not against the county where the bus is based.

Under North Carolina law, claims for personal injuries from an accident with a school bus are handled under the State Tort Claims Act. These claims are heard in the North Carolina Industrial Commission rather than in court.

It’s important to remember that a few buses are NOT subject to this rule. Activity buses are usually owned directly by the county or local school district, and claims involving those buses are not subject to the STCA.

The car accident lawyers at the Miller Law Group have over 50 years of combined experience in handling car accidents and other personal injury claims, including school bus collisions and other matters covered by the STCA. Don’t be fooled: experience matters. Our lawyers know how to litigate against the Attorney General under the STCA, and they know how to tell where and how to handle these cases.

Contact us today or call 919-348-4361 for a free consultation.

Statutes of Limitations

What Doctors Should I See following a Car Accident?