Getting into a car accident is extremely scary – your mind is racing, your adrenaline is pumping, and you probably aren’t thinking straight. It’s easy to get overwhelmed. However, if you do find yourself in a car accident, take these steps to stay safe and smart about what comes next.
- Move to a safe area. If possible, try to get your car off the road. By keeping your vehicle in a high traffic area you’re putting yourself and others further at risk.
- Stop your vehicle and get out. Once you’ve moved to a safe area, put your car in park, turn it off, and exit the vehicle.
- Check on other parties involved. Make sure everyone in your vehicle is okay, then check on those in the other vehicles involved. If anyone looks to be in life threatening condition, call an ambulance immediately.
- Invite the police. Even in small accidents, a police report is extremely valuable when dealing with an insurance company or other drivers. Be honest with the police, but avoid admitting fault or blaming others at the scene.
- Collect information. While you are waiting for the police to arrive, gather as much information as possible. This includes:
- Driver and passenger names
- License plate information
- Insurance information
- Make and models of all the vehicles involved
- Contact information for any eyewitnesses
- Location of the accident
- Name and badge number of any police officers on the scene
- Document, document, document! Snap as many pictures as you can from the scene, including damages to the vehicles, skid marks, and license plates.
- File a claim with your insurance company.
- Consider calling a lawyer. If you or any one else in your vehicle were injured, it might be in your best interest to find a lawyer to represent you in a claim against anyone responsible for your injuries. Miller Law Group PLLC has a skilled team of Attorneys with years of experience representing personal injury claims. Don’t let a car accident keep you from living the life you love.
At Miller Law Group, we believe practicing law is a profession first and a business second. We covenant honesty, personal attention, and dedication. Attorneys Stacy Miller and Lacy Mau-McDowell are passionate about their representation and experienced in Personal Injury cases.
If you’re considering hiring a personal injury attorney, please call Miller Law Group for free advice (919) 348-4361 or contact us here.