Being involved in a serious car accident can be a very traumatic experience, especially if you have loved ones in the car with you. With the increase in car accidents in North Carolina, it is important to have an action plan if you are involved in an accident.
- Safety is always the first concern. Call the police right away. Do not move your vehicles until a police officer has documented the location of the vehicles and the accident.
- Exchange contact information (name, address and phone number), insurance policy numbers and insured name, driver’s license number and state, license plate numbers (also can be photographed).
- Obtain names and all contact information of any witnesses and passengers.
- Cooperate fully with the police officers. Try to answer all their questions as completely and thoroughly as possible.
- If you have a smart phone, photograph all the vehicles involved in the accident, specifically the position of the vehicles and the damage to the vehicles.
- Take photographs of all your injuries at the scene, in the hospital and while recovering.
- If you are unable to take photos of your car at the time of the accident, have someone take pictures after the vehicle is towed. Get an estimate of the damage.
- Contact your auto insurance company immediately to determine if you should file a claim for property damage with your own insurance company’s policy.
- If you are hurt, see a doctor immediately. Due to the rush of adrenalin, you may not realize you are experiencing significant pain. Some injuries to not reveal themselves until sometime after the accident. It is important that you seek medical attention immediately and follow instructions of your doctor.
- Do not make any statements with any other insurance company. And do not admit anything until you have talked with an attorney.
- Save copies of all receipts, reports and bills from any medical provider, time away from work, prescriptions for pain medication, any loss of personal items in the vehicle.
- Do not accept any settlement offer from any insurance company without first speaking with a lawyer who specializes in car accident cases.
- Do not comment or refer to your accident on any social media.
The Miller Law Group has extensive experience representing people injured as a result of auto, bike and truck accidents. Whether you or one of your family members are the injured party, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney to understand your options.
At the Miller Law Group, we offer free consultation and will review your accident case and advise you accordingly free of charge. Call 919-348-4361.
Please print this list and keep it in your glove compartment in case you or someone in your family should ever need it.